Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Thursday, July 17, 2008
d. South of France
2. Professor Umbridge comes to Hagrid's Hut and searches his cabin one evening (as she believes Harry, Ron and Hermoine are there visiting him at night when they are not supposed to). When she walks past the place where Harry, Ron and Hermoine are hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry holds his breath. True or False?
3. A stately-looking witch in an emerald green shawl is one of the members of the Advance Guard who rescues Harry from Privet Drive. What is her name?
a. Emmeline Vance
4. What is the name of the witch who was killed two weeks after the photo of the original Order of the Phoenix was taken>
b. Marlene McKinnon
5. Which two fifth year Ravenclaw students does Dumbledore choose to be prefects?
d. Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil
6. Which house was Rose Zeller sorted into?
7. What is the color of Murtlap's essence?
8. Name the Ravenclaw girl who became prefect in Harry's fifth year.
b. Padma Patil
9. According to a healer's portrait at St. Mungo's hospital, which disease was Ron suffering from?
10. Which book did Harry give Hermoine for Christmas?
a. "New Theory of Numberology"
Monday, July 14, 2008
A quick peek inside hinted at what was to come.....
A nice note from Antonio was opened first...
This folder is stuffed with bunches and bunches of sock patterns!
Look at the yummy yarn! One hank in Ravenclaw colors, and one in my favorite color combo of green and purple!!! Plus stitch markers, DPN's, and a tape measure that I will be turning into a snitch!
Look at all these goodies! YUM!!!
And the piece de resistance.....LOOK AT THIS BAG!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH ANTONIO!!!!!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Friday, July 11, 2008
2. "Occlumency" is not, in reality, a word. However, it seems to be derived from a familiar real word that means "to block". What is that word? Occlude
3. Remus Lupin, the werewolf, has a name that is a double reminder of his traits. From what languages are his two names derived? Italian and Latin
4. Percy Weasley's owl takes its name, quite appropriately, from the Greek messenger god. Who is this god? Hermes
5. Many of the creatures studied in the Care of Magical Creatures class or encountered by Hogwarts students are based on mythological animals while many others were made up. Name a mythological animal which is studied and/or encourntered by Hogwarts students. Thestrals
6. Harry is tried for the "crime" of using magic outside Hogwarts by the Wizengamot. From what culture is the name "Wizengamot" derived? The Wizengamot gets its name from the Witan, also known as the Witenagemot, from Anglo-Saxon England. Witan is defined as "an assembly of higher ecclesiastics and important laymen, including king's thegns, that met to counsel the king on matters such as judicial problems."
7. The hospital in OotP is called St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Who was the real St. Mungo? Mungo Bonham
8. Dobby the house-elf gets his name from another kind of creature. In English folklore, what is a dobby? a Brownie (a benevolent goblin or elf)
9. Mundungus Fletcher is a disreputable little wizard with a penchant for trading in stolen goods. What exactly does mundungus mean? A particularly smelly variety of tobacco
10. Harry's arch-nemesis throughout OotP is Professor Umbridge. Why is her name appropriate for her? "dolor" = Latin for pain, sadness, grief, resentment.
"umbrage" = offense, from Latin "umbra" shade, shadow, ghost.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
You Are Miss Piggy
A total princess and diva, you're totally in charge - even if people don't know it.
You want to be loved, adored, and worshiped. And you won't settle for anything less.
You're going to be a total star, and you won't let any of the "little people" get in your way.
Just remember, piggy, never eat more than you can lift!
Friday, July 4, 2008
I was flying my new broom through Buffalo on my way to Ontario today and just had to stop by to meet my spoiler Antonio! We had lunch and I got a few lessons on some muggle sock-knitting techniques (a cool little thing called "Magic Loop", but I swear there wasn't any magic going on), plus he helped me make something for my spoilee's kit (Andi, you will love it!)
I had fun and my little 12-yr-old cousin Lucifer Scrimshaw didn't complain too much. He sat near the window on his "laptop" (he likes to play with the muggle moving pictures they produce-he pushes the buttons and makes the pictures move...fascinating really).
Antonio, thanks again for the hospitality! Hope we can do it again soon!
Thursday, July 3, 2008
5. Marietta Edgecombe
8. Sirius Black
10. Arabella Figg
15. Order of the Phoenix
20. Madam Puddifoot’s
1. Severus Snape
6. Grimmauld Place
7. Ministry of Magic
18. Hog’s Head
Monday, June 30, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
My wonderful spoiler Antonio sent me this little package of goodies in an order I placed with his uncle Vincenzo's Magical Fiber shop on Diagon Alley! The beaded item is a row counter, which I am still learning how to use! Isn't it great?!
THANK YOU Antonio!
Friday, June 27, 2008
Friday, June 20, 2008
b. Professor Umbridge
2. Off what street is the alley where Harry first met Sirius?
c. Magnolia Crescent
3. Tonks’ mother had two sisters, both pure-bloods, and both left on the Black Family Tree. What are their names?
c. Narcissa and Bellatrix
4. What spell are the students studying in McGonalgall’s class when Umbrdige is doing her inspection?
d. The Vanishing Spell
5. Who comes to warn Harry and the rest of Dumbledore’s Army that Umbridge and her group of followers are coming to break up their meeting?
Answer: __________Dobby_____________ (five letters)
6. Who are the members of the Order that met Harry Potter in the Dursely’s house during the summer before his fifth year?
c. Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Remus Lupin, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
7. Moody used the Disillusionment Charm on Harry.
8. Which of these Death Eaters is Sirius related to?
d. All of these
9. At what age did Sirius leave his home?
Answer: _________16__________ (Number)
10. How many of the original Order members were killed (don’t include those who disappeared)?
Post these pictures to your blog. They must either be posted or linked to from your blog in order to receive points.
Friday, June 13, 2008
1. What I was doing 10 years ago...
10 years ago I was getting ready to move to Los Angeles CA to work as a travel nurse for the first time so that my now ex-husband could pursue his dream. I was kicking butt in my Mary Kay business as well but was to soon find out that I couldn't handle both in a new place. My sons were 2 and 11. The 2-year-old came with us to California but my oldest son stayed behind with his dad in Erie. THAT sucked.
2. Five things on my to-do list today
Well since it's 8pm as I'm writing this I'll give you my to-do list for tomorrow:
1. Mary Kay facial with my friend Lori at 9:30
2. pick up rental roto-tiller at 2:30 so that I can have it for Sunday when my boyfriend can till my new vegetable garden
3. attend my now 12-year old's soccer game
4. go to Lowe's/Home Depot for supplies to make the raised vegetable bed
5. go to a movie or other fun thing with my son and boyfriend. Maybe we'll go see Kung Fu Panda!
3. Snacks I enjoy:
1. Newman's Own mint chocolate oreo-like cookies
2. nuts-almonds, cashews, macadamias
3. strawberry shortcake
4. fresh fruit
5. kettle chips and popcorn
4. Things I would do if I was a billionaire:
1. Pay off all my bills, mom's bills, dad's bills.
2. Invest so that I would continue to be a billionaire.
3. Donate to some favorite charities: the Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation, the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, Heifer International, Habitat for Humanity, my local Whole Foods Co-Op, and other great ones that I don't know about yet.
4. Build a house that uses no fossil fuels...i.e. with a geothermal heating/cooling system, green roof, solar panels, etc. It would also look like a log home or a castle. Not sure which. And it would have a huge vegetable garden!
5. Places I've lived:
-Buffalo NY (birth place)
-Waterford PA (grew up there)
-Erie PA (several times and current domicile)
-Los Angeles CA
6. Jobs I've had:
-cashier at convenience store
-Registered Nurse...as such I've worked in home care, infusion, critical care, and the cath lab.
-Mary Kay consultant
7. People I want to know more about:
My spoiler Antonia de la Weasley, and anyone else on the swap!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
2. Dumbledore's Army was about doing something real. Or was that all just words to you? Neville Longbottom
3. Dementors in Little Winging? Whatever next? The whole world's going topsy-turvy. Mrs. Arabella Figg
4. The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing. Severus Snape
5. Face it, Petunia. Our boy has gone lumpy. Vernon Dursley
6. You're a fool, Harry Potter, and you will lose everything. Lord Voldemort
7. Practicing is good, but there's something else that's even more important: believing in yourself. Look at it this way: every wizard in history has started out as nothing more than we are now -- students. If they can do it, why not us? Harry Potter
8. I WILL have order! Delores Umbridge
9. When are you going to get it into your head? We're in this together. Hermione Granger
10. When all this is over we'll be a proper family, you'll see. Sirius Black
11. That's right. Anyway, my mum always said things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end. If not always in the way we expect. Luna Lovegood
12. You may not like him, Minister, but you can't deny: Dumbledore's got style. Kingsley Shacklebolt
13. Who wants to watch me take off Snivelly's trousers? Young James Potter
14. One person can't feel all that, they'd explode! Ron Weasley
15. They're very clean, these Muggles. It's unnatural. Nymphadora Tonks
16. How dare you speak his name! YOU FILTHY HALF BLOOD! Bellatrix LeStrange
17. Just because you can use magic now does not mean you have to whip your wands out for everything. Mrs. Weasley
18. Did you actually believe, or are you truly naive enough to think that children stood a chance against us? I'll make this simple, Potter. Give me the prophecy now, or watch your friends die. Lucius Malfoy
19. You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. Ginny Weasley
20. Ah, I thought we might hit this little snag. You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to -- what is the phrase? -- come quietly. Albus Dumbledore
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
a. Tibbles2. Which of the following is NOT one of Albus Dumbledore's middle names?
a. Ignatius3. Which educational decree introduced a High Inquisitor to Hogwarts?
d. 234. Apart from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was the first person to enter the Hog's Head that showed an interest in Harry's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes?
b. Neville Longbottom5. In the first Quidditch match of the year which player attempted to score first?
a. Angelina Johnson6. What kind of bush does Harry hide behind to listen to the news?
b. A hydrangea bush7. Why is Mundungus Fletcher disguised as a woman when he witnesses the DA (Dumbledore's Army) meeting in the Hog's Head pub?
b. He was banned from the Hog’s Head pub 20 years ago.8. When Harry and Cho go on their first date to Madam Puddifoot's in Hogsmeade, what is it decorated with for Valentine's Day?
c. Golden cherubs and pink confetti9. How old is Sturgis Podmore and where does he live?
a. 38 and number 2 Laburnum Gardens Clapham10. What did Fred and George Weasley do to Montague?
a. Forced him head-first into a Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor.Picture Scavenger
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Miranda and I are planning some surprises for Emma when she gets back. How dare she go off and leave in the middle of the term like that! But if she brings us back some good presents we might let her off easy. Miranda and I are keeping the details to ourselves for now, but she did say something about apple pie. Maybe it's a "Memorial Day" thing or something.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Emma, on the other hand, has been mum about her infamous last name. She simply will not divulge anything. This frustrates Miranda and I to no end, so of course we all suspect something juicy is up. Maybe we'll have to relieve some veratiserum from Professor Snape to get her talking...